By: Lindy Abed, MS RDN LDN, CHP Registered Dietitian
Have you ever wondered if you are getting all the nutrients you need from your meals? One way to try and ensure you are getting the essential nutrients is to “eat the rainbow” by including a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables in your diet.
A fruit or vegetable’s color is usually a good indicator of its health benefits:
Having an assortment of colors in your daily diet will provide you with a range of flavors that not only taste delicious, they will also help to optimize your overall health. Challenge yourself to “eat the rainbow” every day!
Here is a quick recipe for Rainbow Salsa to get you started!
Total time: 10 minutes
Yield: 10-12 servings
• 3 Roma tomatoes, diced
• 2 Jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
• 1 Red bell pepper, seeded and diced
• 1 Orange bell pepper, seeded and diced
• 1 Yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
• 1 Can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 Can whole kernel corn, rinsed and drained
• 1 Cup fresh chopped cilantro
• 2/3 Cup red onion, chopped
• 2 Tbsp lime juice, freshly squeezed
• ½ tsp garlic powder
• ½ tsp ground cumin
• ½ tsp salt
• Tortilla chips
Source: Ali. “Rainbow Salsa.” Gimme Some Oven, 22 Oct. 2019, www.gimmesomeoven.com/rainbow-salsa-recipe/.